Derek Galon – M.A., FRPS, FOPS (only 10th Canadian to receive the Royal Photographic Society’s Fellowship, their highest distinction).
RELOCATED TO DOMINICA (not Dominicana!), Eastern Caribbean – in October 2014.
son of a musician – as a small child loved spending hours under his dad’s grand piano, listening as he practiced for his upcoming concerts. This powerful experience of real “surround sound” determined his life choice – the arts!
He studied classical music, arts and photography – requisitioned the family bathroom to serve as darkroom. Already in his teens he was winning awards and exhibiting works, while simultaneously continuing his education and giving concerts. With university studies completed, he further pursued his professional career in the arts.
After arriving in Canada from Europe, he expanded his professional interests to include multimedia and graphic design. He has also published books, and collaborated on production of animated 3D holograms. But music and photography still remain his strongest passion. And, he keeps photographing…and then, photographing…and photographing… (now for over forty years!)
Derek has made his mark during the last four decades as an internationally recognized architecture and commercial photographer, while creating his own art images along the way. His works sold to clients in many countries around the world. Currently, Derek is represented by Qrator (UK) and Photo Gallery Vibrante, Canadian art gallery co-op, offering low direct-to-customer pricing on fine art photography.
Along with his long-time partners Margaret Gajek (art historian, researcher, writer), Les Nowak (photo panorama expert) he created Ozone Zone Books publishing company. Their books won Benjamin Franklin Book Excellence Gold Award 2010 in New York, prestigious international Nautilus Book Award 2011, along with some other awards. Also dozens of Derek’s photos won prestigious international awards and medals, and participated in dozens of exhibitions in United Kingdom, Europe, Middle East, Japan, and Canada.
With Ozone Zone, they specialize in fine, top-end coffee table books. Company also offers flexible services – from fine photography (including location photography in remote places), to designing, writing, publishing and printing brochures, calendars, booklets, books and other materials – all with usage of photographs created by Derek and Les.
Derek is available for lectures and workshops on technical and artistic aspects of photography, photo-editing, travel photography, creative studio lighting, and on photography publishing – to camera clubs and other interested parties. He often gets invited as a juror, and organizes the Ozone Zone International Photo Salon.
Derek also offers independently his photography services both for local customers in Dominica, West Indies (Eastern Caribbean) – and for customers requiring fine photography taken in various locations around the world. He delivered many fine images to most prestigious clients, as well as the luxury real estate agencies such as Christie’s and Sotheby’s International Realty (in UK and Canada). He is a rare cross-breed between commercial, documentary, and art photographers.
He specializes in photographing boutique hotels, fine B&B, resorts, historic architecture and fine real estate for publicity/advertising needs.
Having vast experience in architecture photography, landscape, nature, various styles of art portraits, conceptual art, travel and editorial photography – he photographs exclusive residences and mansions for advertising, display or archival purposes, does fine art portraits for portfolios – artistic images to treasure for years to come. For more information or quotes, please contact our office or Derek directly (see Contact page).
To see the full offer of Ozone Zone, including wide services combining fine photography with production of books, brochures, other publishing, etc. please see custom work section of Ozone Zone Books site. Derek’s Wedding Photo Services are here.
Derek’s PHOTO BLOG is here.
Blog of Ozone Zone run by Derek Galon and Margaret Gajek is here.
On top of photography services, Derek has a large stock library of photographs in several styles (Architecture, Caribbean landscape, Nature, Music, People).
These are fine display images perfect for decoration, advertising, media, etc.. Many of them are available as limited edition prints, with signature and numbering.
Licensing rights are directly available. His works are also available through Image Brief, Photographers Direct, Rex and Shutterstock sites offering stock images. Please contact Derek if interested.
Besides Ozone Zone Books’ publications, Derek’s photographs have been used by many premier magazines and newspapers, including:
– National Geographic (2016)
– Debbie Travis – Caribbean Charm, April 18 2010 (syndicated)
– Luxury Home Quarterly – Summer 2010 (main feature – 26 pages)
– Building Savvy magazine vol.2 2010
– Toronto Star, Ottawa Citizen, Calgary Herald, Victoria Times Colonist
– ZING magazine (in-flight Liat airlines) vol.8 Summer 2010
– Good Life Connoisseur magazine (Heat Wave feature) Summer 2010
– Trellis – Toronto Botanical Garden mag. Winter 2011, vol.38, nr 1
– ZING magazine (in-flight Liat airlines) vol.10 Jan-March 2011,
– Real Life magazine, March 2011 (in two separate features),
– Real Life magazine, August 2011
– Luxury Home Quarterly – Spring 2011
– Victoria Boulevard Magazine – autumn 2011
– Canadian Camera – winter 2011
– ZING magazine (in-flight Liat airlines) Jan. 2012
– MACO Caribbean Living – Jan. 2012 (large feature + cover)
– Vogue – Feb. 2012
– ISLANDS Magazine – Caribbean Travel + Life – Spring 2012
– Travel and Leasure (summer 2012)
– Real Life magazine – July 2012 (in three separate features)
Image “Tile Tales” published in prestigious limited edition book by Scandinavian gallery 1X. The book titled No Words shows 200 select international fine art photographs.
– CNN (Oct 2012), Daily Telegraph (UK)
Some of Derek’s RECENT CLIENTS include:
– Cap Maison Luxury Villa Resort – (St Lucia) #1 “Most Excellent Small Resort Award, Pacific, Atlantic and Caribbean” by Condé Nast
– Lane Pettigrew Architects (LPA Inc, Florida USA, St Lucia, Dominican Republic, Honduras) – multi-awarded Caribbean architectural firm
– Jalousie Plantation – Sugar Beach Estate Resort (St Lucia) – multi-awarded luxury villa resort
– Mount Hartman Bay Estate (Grenada) – renowned boutique hotel/luxury villa
– Fort Young Hotel (Dominica) – Dominica’s premier hotel
– Prickly Bay Waterside – luxury condos (Grenada) – award-winning modern condo project
– Fond Doux Holiday Plantation (St. Lucia)
– Sotheby’s International Realty (UK) – luxury real estate agency
– Real Life magazine (Cayman Islands)
– Secret Bay boutique resort (Dominica) luxury eco lodging
– Villa Marco Polo (Victoria, BC Canada) – Condé Nast award-winning luxury B&B
– Welchman Hall Gully, Barbados
– Sotheby’s International Realty, BC, Canada – luxury real estate agency
– Pemberton Holmes real estate, Canada
– Sutton Group real estate, Canada
– Little Arches Resort in Barbados
– Hunte’s Gardens, Barbados
– Ministry of Tourism, Government of Montserrat, West Indies
– Montserrat Development Corporation
– Country Life (UK magazine)
-Daily Telegraph (UK national newspaper)
– Beau Rive boutique hotel in Dominica
– Maco Magazine (several times)
and many more…
Some of Derek’s recent exhibitions and awards:
“At Home Wherever Our Heart Is” – exhibition in Vancouver, Canada. December 2010 to January 2011.
|MENSCH und NATUR 2014, Austria – Gold Medal
8th International United Emirates Photography Competition 2013 – Medal
Trierenberg Super Circuit 2014, Austria – Silver medal.
7th International Photographic Salon Varna – 2x Silver Medals (RPS and UPI), 1x FIAP Gold Medal.
German International DVF Photocup 2014 – GIP Medal, DVF Gold Medal, HM
Photography Masters Cup 2014 – HM
Small Print Salon Solway 2014 (UK) FIAP Bronze medal, 2x HM.
Four Nations Salon 2014 – Gold medal.
SPS Gold Medal – 40th Smethwick International Exhibition of Photography 2014, UK.
Yorkshire International Salon 2014 UK – PSA Medal.
2nd Cork International Salon of Photography, Ireland – FIAP HM
Smethwick 40th International Exhibition (UK) – Gold medal
German International DVF Photocup 2015 – Silver medal, Bronze medal, 2x FIAP HM.
121st TORONTO INTERNATIONAL SALON OF PHOTOGRAPHY – Silver Medal, Blue ribbon (HM)
ISO Salon (Belgium) Bronze FIAP medal (2015)
Yorkshire International Salon 2015 FIAP Ribbon
3rd Cork International Salon of Photography (Ireland) SACC Silver Medal 2015
Istambul Photo Meetup 2015 – PSA Bronze medal
FotoFeria 2015, Poland – PSA Gold medal + 3x HM
IRELAND EXHIBITION 2015 – PSA Gold medal +HM
Bristol Salon 2016 (UK) – HM
Photo Art Prague 2016 – RPS Gold Medal
Works on display in Chashama Gallery at 4 Times Square, New York, USA
Works on display in Gallery G21N in New York, USA
67th Midland International Salon of Photography (UK) – MCPF Ribbon
2016 PSA International (USA) – HM
Photo Magic 2016 – PSA Gold, and 2x MoL Gold medal.
INTERNATIONAL KOHINOOR DIGITAL CIRCUIT-2016 (India) – 2x KDC Gold medal, 1x HM
FotoFeria International (Poland) – 1x FF Medal, 7x HM
Photo Artist International Salon of Photography 2016, Switzerland – FIAP Gold Medal, 1x HM
Bulgaria International Photo Contest 2016 – Silver Medal, HM
4th Cork International Salon of Photography 2016 (Ireland) – PSA Bronze Medal
Exhibited works at Hartlauer Fotogalerie in Linz, Austria, 05.08 to 02.10 2016, in exhibition Art of Nude.
International Golden Salon, Denmark – Silver Medal
Miracle Image Photo Salon 2017 , India – 2x Gold Medal
Rainbow International Photo Circuit 2017, Kolkata, India – 2x Gold Medal, 1x Bronze Medal.
Exhibited works at Bristol Salon 2017, UK
SHADOW 2nd INTERNATIONAL Circuit 2017, INDIA
– 3x Gold Medal
Swiss International Photo Salon 2017 – Silver Medal.
6th Obsession of Light 2017, Finland -Gold Medal FIAP
AFAN 2017 Int’l Exhibition of Photography, Saudi Arabia – Gold Medal GPU.
68th Midland Salon of International Photography 2017, UK – Gold medal PSA, FIAP Ribbon.
UNIQ IMAGINATION INTERNATIONAL 2017, India
– 2x Salon Gold Medal
Hartlauer Foto Galerie, Linz – Austria. Exhibited art photography in 2015, 2016, 2017.
Campina Photo Exhibition 2017 – Romania – Gold Medal
Work on display at 1X 10th Anniversary Exhibition in World Financial Center, Shanghai, China, January 2018
DEREK’s INTERVIEW BY A CANADIAN PHOTO BLOG (2013)
Derek’s art work on the respected ProFoto blog (2014)
Derek’s interview by the prestigious 1X.com (2015)
Article by Margaret Gajek published in Royal Photographic Society’s Journal in Nov. 2013. It is about Derek Galon’s photo art series “Painterly”.
Once again an article by Margaret Gajek with Derek’s photography is published in ZING – in-flight magazine of LIAT Caribbean Airlines. This one about the Kalinago tribe from Dominica.